Some Guidelines for myself before travel to Hong Kong.
- Bring enough cash. Local tea house (茶餐廳) accept cash payment only. Reloading octopus card (see below) also require cash.
- The exchange rate in Hong Kong is quite bad. *Dated 2016 Feb 27-28th
- The exchange rate for HKD in Singapore was 1SGD = 5.405 – 5.5HKD.
- The exchange rate for HKD in Hong Kong, was 1SGD = 5.20 -5.27 HKD.
- Due to bad exchange rate, choose to pay HKD instead of local currency when paying with credit card.
- Collect Hong Kong free map at the airport. It provides instruction on how to get to some tourist attractions.
- Buy “Octopus card” at the MTR service counter right in front of the Airport Express.
- The card cost 150HKD which 100HKD is the store value for use. 50HKD is refundable but there will be a charge of 10HKD for refund within 90 days of its issue date. There is no expiry date on the card.
- The fare from Airport Express to Hong Kong MTR is 100HKD which require to top up immediately again.
- Cash payment only for reloading. The minimum top up value is 50HKD.
- More details on MTR can be found below.
- Octopus card can also be used on many places other than transportation.
- Check with hotel before buying a local simcard. Some hotel provide free rental cellphone with unlimited data plan. Eg. Hotel Pravo Hong Kong.